Development Commissioner Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises
"Imparting greater vitality and growth impetus to the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) in terms of output, employment and exports and instilling a competitive culture based on heightened technology awareness."
The Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector has been recognised as engine of growth all over the world. Many countries of the world have established a SME Development Agency as the nodal agency to coordinate and oversee all Government interventions in respect of the development of this sector. In the case of India, also Medium establishment has for the first time been defined in terms of separate Act, governing promotion and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) i.e. Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) development Act, 2006 (which has come into force from 02nd Oct, 2006) the Office of Development Commissioner (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) functions as the nodal Developmet Agency under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME).
Office of Development Commissioner (SSI) was established in 1954 on the basis of the recommendations of the Ford Foundation. Over the years, it has seen its role evolve into an agency for advocacy, hand holding and facilitation for the small industries sector. It has 72 offices and 18 autonomous bodies under its management. These autonomous bodies include Tool Rooms, Training Institutions and Project-cum-Process Development Centres. Office of the Development Commissioner (MSME) provides a wide spectrum of services to the Micro, Small and Medium Industrial sector. These include facilities for testing, training for entrepreneurship development, preparation of project and product profiles, technical and managerial consultancy, assistance for exports, pollution and energy audits etc. Office of the Development Commissioner (MSME) provides economic information services and advises Government in policy formulation for the promotion and development of SSIs. The field offices also work as effective links between the Central and the State Governments.
Consequent to the increased globalization of the Indian economy, MSMEs are required to face new challenges. Office of the Development Commissioner (MSME) has recognised the changed environment and is currently focusing on providing support in the fields of credit, marketing, technology and infrastructure to MSMEs. Global trends and national developments have accentuated Office of the Development Commissioner (MSME)'s role as a catalyst of growth of MSMEs in the country.
The main services rendered by DC (MSME) office are:
- Advising the Government in policy formulation for the promotion and development of MSMEs.
- Providing techno-economic and managerial consultancy, common facilities and extension services to MSMEs.
- Providing facilities for technology upgradation, modernisation, quality improvement and infrastructure.
- Developing Human Resources through training and skill upgradation.
- Providing economic information services.
- Maintaining a close liaison with the Central Ministries, Planning Commission, State Governments, Financial Institutions and other Organisations concerned with development of MSMEs.
- Evolving and coordinating Policies and Programmes for development of MSMEs as ancillaries to large industries.